Our lesson of Athaliah and Jehosheba comes from the book of 2 Kings 11; 2Chronicles 22; 23:11-21
- Athaliah – Her name means “The Lord is Great”.
- Athaliah was the granddaughter of Omri, one of Israels most idolatrous and evil Kings.
- The “only” woman to rule over Judah.
- The daughter of Ahab and most likely of Jezebel as well.
- Controlled by her need for power, she murdered her own family members.
Key Scriptures: 2 King 11:2; 2 Chronicles 22:11
- Jehosheba her name means : “Swear by His Name”.
- A Princess and the wife of the high priest.
- Saved the life of her nephew Joash which was ordered to be killed by her Baal worshipping half sister Athaliah.
- Jehosheba was very smart. She hid Joash in the temple of the Lord. A place where Athaliah would never think of looking for him.
- Through the brave actions of Jehosheba the lineage of David was protected and our salvation through the Messiah was assured.
Women of the Bible, 52 Bible Studies For Individuals And Groups, Jean E. Syswerda, Zondervan, 1999.