vFor Thought and Discussion, Page 160.(1)
Explain how the Holy Spirit convicts the world about sin, righteousness and Judgement – John 16:7-11.
The Disciples did not really understand that Jesus has to go away for the Holy Spirit, Comforter Counselor to come.
“But in His coming, He will bring the Spirit of Truth” v 13. He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgement.
- In regard to sin: because men do not believe in me. v 9. People cannot see themselves as sinners. We can always see someone else’s sin but never our own. The issue is you’re sinning by judging those whose sin is great. To God all sin is #1, we give them a number
- In regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer. v 10. No one but the Holy Spirit can reveal to a person that a righteous status before God does not depend on good works but on Christ’s death on the cross. Christ death was to restore us back to the God. So he can see us as righteous by the Spirit, along with Jesus as our Intercessory prayers for us as sinners. Without Jesus, it would be hard to have a relationship with God.
- In regard to Judgement, because the prince of this world now stand condemned. v 11. We are in no position to judge anyone on anything. All judgement is reserved for God and Jesus. We are too sinful to see the entire world as God see’s it. He can use anyone of his Children how He wishes, as we are all His Children. There is one creator.
- John, Life Change Series, Nav Press, 1987
- NIV Study Bible, Zondervan 2008 edition,