THE WOMAN OF PROVERBS 31 10 POINTS BIBLE STUDY BY Petra Vaughn
The Wife of Noble Character
- Her Character: She represents the fulfillment of a life lived in wisdom (page 146)
- V10: She is worth more than rubies…she is wisdom personified (3:15)
- V12: She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life… The Husband will find favor from the Lord (18:22 & 19:14).
- V13,V19,V21 & V22: She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. In her hand she holds a distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers, when it snows she has no fear for her household, for all of them are clothed in scarlet, she makes coverings for her bed, she is clothed in fine linen and purple (distaff-stick or staff in which the wool and flax is wound around during the spinning) Scarlet & Purple: colors symbolized fine materials for the wealthy) She makes clothes and bedding and rugs to care for her family.
- V14,V15: She is like a merchant ships bringing food from afar, She gets up while it is still dark; she prepares food for her family and portions for her servant girls. (She is an enterprising woman and not a sluggard) see note 31:15
- V16,V17, V18 & V24: She considers a field and buys it; out of earnings she plants a vineyard, she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks, she sees her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night, she makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. (using her enterprising spirit she still takes care of her family and friends with the work she does)
- V20,V25,V26 & V27: She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy, she is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come, she speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue, she watches the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. (14:21 & 22:9, Job: 39-7, 1:8, 6:20, she is a God fearing woman and is living her life as God intends, faith,, dignity, love and not idle, not gossiping see foot notes)
- V11,V23,V28 & V31: Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value, Her husband is respected at the city gates…her children arise and call her blessed her husband also, and he praises her ( Her Husband and family love her because she cares for them so well, they praise her and tell others how wonderful she is… see foot notes)
- V29,V30: Many woman do noble things but you surpass them all, charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (Loving the Lord and following his commands is the noble thing to do in our lives, see footnotes)
- Like many Hebrew Poems, Songs and Proverbs are a play on words for God, Church and us, so we could use those words to make a better connection with the statements and our lives today.
Sin is detrimental fun. Following God’s path is uplifting fun. The Lord works out everything for his own ends – even the wicked for a day of disaster. (Proverbs 16:4, NIV)
Bible Versus & Reflection
By Petra Vaughn
Proverbs 2:1-8 NIV
My son, If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Before you call friends, family or go to social media for advice, counsel or agreed retaliation, go to God in prayer and ask his for direction. His voice could lead you to the right person, place or direction, too many times we ask and take the advice of the unequipped and are much worse off.
God knows what you need and who He wants to assist you. Learn to trust Him to provide for you in all ways.
The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
To be wise or foolish is a choice. Choose wisely!
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Committing to the Lord is making His plan your plan. Have faith because His plan cannot fail.
Dear God, Thank you for my children. Thanks for the gift of me being their daddy. Thank you for the woman you have ordained to be their mother. As I see what they have become, it appears that we have handled what God has trusted us with successfully. All that they have accomplished is not because we have done anything on our own. It Dear God, is because of You. So, I simply thank You for compelling us to follow Your leadership and instructions. Because our children belong to You, and You have put them in our trust, You has decided what You wanted them to be, accomplish and achieve. I hope we have followed the instructions of You the creator to the best of our ability. That was all that we could do. And, as I am now a grandparent, I understand that is all my parents did, simply follow the guidance of God in preparing me for life. Finally God, As my children are now parents, I Pray that they will never forget: 1. To train up their children (a child) in the way they should go and when they are old they will no turn from it (Proverbs 22:6). 2. To be righteous in the Lord, for an inheritance of success for your children, as David says, “I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread” (Psalm 37:25). 3. And, to always follow the guidance of God, because “….. Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands. His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. (Psalm 112 1-2). In the Name of Jesus I pray Amen
God, as I ask that I do what is right regarding my spouse, children, grandchildren, job, friends and community, may I always remember to “Commit to the Lord whatever you (I) do , and your (my) plan will succeed (Proverbs 16:3). Thank you, God for being my guide in all things and I will follow your lead to success. Amen