THE WOMAN OF PROVERBS 31 10 POINTS BIBLE STUDY BY Petra Vaughn
The Wife of Noble Character
- Her Character: She represents the fulfillment of a life lived in wisdom (page 146)
- V10: She is worth more than rubies…she is wisdom personified (3:15)
- V12: She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life… The Husband will find favor from the Lord (18:22 & 19:14).
- V13,V19,V21 & V22: She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. In her hand she holds a distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers, when it snows she has no fear for her household, for all of them are clothed in scarlet, she makes coverings for her bed, she is clothed in fine linen and purple (distaff-stick or staff in which the wool and flax is wound around during the spinning) Scarlet & Purple: colors symbolized fine materials for the wealthy) She makes clothes and bedding and rugs to care for her family.
- V14,V15: She is like a merchant ships bringing food from afar, She gets up while it is still dark; she prepares food for her family and portions for her servant girls. (She is an enterprising woman and not a sluggard) see note 31:15
- V16,V17, V18 & V24: She considers a field and buys it; out of earnings she plants a vineyard, she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks, she sees her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night, she makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. (using her enterprising spirit she still takes care of her family and friends with the work she does)
- V20,V25,V26 & V27: She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy, she is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come, she speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue, she watches the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. (14:21 & 22:9, Job: 39-7, 1:8, 6:20, she is a God fearing woman and is living her life as God intends, faith,, dignity, love and not idle, not gossiping see foot notes)
- V11,V23,V28 & V31: Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value, Her husband is respected at the city gates…her children arise and call her blessed her husband also, and he praises her ( Her Husband and family love her because she cares for them so well, they praise her and tell others how wonderful she is… see foot notes)
- V29,V30: Many woman do noble things but you surpass them all, charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (Loving the Lord and following his commands is the noble thing to do in our lives, see footnotes)
- Like many Hebrew Poems, Songs and Proverbs are a play on words for God, Church and us, so we could use those words to make a better connection with the statements and our lives today.